Entrepreneur Manifesto – Another Look
When I first thought about putting together an entrepreneur manifesto a couple of years ago, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Here, I will stick with the same 10 key points, but I’d like to hang a little “meat” on the manifesto, based on a couple more years of learning and reflection on what is important for success as an entrepreneur. Here are the ten key “commitments” of the entrepreneur:
1. I will be Persistent. I know that nothing great is ever achieved without persistence. I also know that the road to success is littered with those who gave up, while I continued to fight.
2. I will set Goals. I know that setting and monitoring progress toward goals increases my probability of success. I also know that even if I don’t achieve every goal exactly as planned, by having goals I give myself targets toward which I can strive.
3. I will have a Plan. I know that although plans can change, having one is important. I understand that it is very likely that I will have to course-correct frequently as I execute my plan, but rather than see such course corrections as failures, I will see them as opportunities to continue on the path to success.
4. I will be a Believer. I know that being an optimist and expecting the best works in my favor. I will focus on the reasons to believe, rather than be swayed by all the naysayers who don’t want to see me succeed while they stand still.
5. I will be a Realist. I know that being realistic and making incremental improvements is the way to go. I understand that being a believer and being realistic are not mutually exclusive; rather they are two sides of the same coin.
6. I will always be Learning. I know that everything changes and ongoing, constant learning is the only way to succeed. I subscribe to the theory that if I stand still in business, I’m actually losing ground.
8. I will be Bold. I know that being timid won’t get me far as an entrepreneur. I will, when appropriate, do what it takes to make my business and my offering stand out from the crowd.
9. I will have a sense of Urgency. I know that hardly anything is ever attempted or accomplished without it. I will find ways to access my sense of urgency whenever I need it, in order to continue to progress toward accomplishment of my goals.
10. I will be Passionate. I know that my passion for what I do is what sets me apart from all the noise in the market. I will use my “why” and my commitment to success as strong sources of passion and energy as I grow my entrepreneurial ventures.
Let me know what else you think should be included in the entrepreneur manifesto!
I look forward to your thoughts! Please leave a comment (“response”) below or in the upper right corner of this post.
Don’t miss an issue of Company Founder! Subscribe today. It’s free. It’s private. It’s practical information for entrepreneurs and leaders interested in taking it to the next level.
Go to the right-hand navigation bar near the top of the page, enter your email and click subscribe. We respect your privacy and will not sell your email address. Note: once you subscribe, if the confirmation email doesn’t arrive, check your spam filter. It usually makes it through, but sometimes those pesky spam filters don’t know what’s good.